[TowerTalk] KLM KT34-XA Refurbishing

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] KLM KT34-XA Refurbishing
From: WBH3@chrysler.com (WBH3@chrysler.com)
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 09:07:51 -0400
HELP!

Had above antenna up for about 5 years and then I had to move.  Now,  15
months later I am ready to put it back up.   I  checked in my Towertalk
file on KT34's and found several references to how to go about refurbishing
this antenna but.....
none of the internet sites mentioned in the articles seem to be acitve
anymore!!  Can someone give me some additional references or someone to
contact to for this information.

Right now, I am using something called "OX-GARD by GB" which I got at Home
Depot to coat the fittings where the antenna elements connect together at
the boom.  I don"t know or have a feel whether it is necessary to do a
complete disassembly and re-coat all the places the assembly manual  says
to put the originally supplied copper paste.   My feelings right now are to
finish the assembly and then stand it on the director end and attach the
coax and see how it plays.  Incidentally, I've also seen a comment that the
copper paste undergoes a magical process and turns into an insulator
medium.

In reading various threads it seems that some people have bad luck doing a
dissassembly and some don't, AND some don't do anything and the antenna
plays ok.  There seems to be no statistically significant  way to approach
this problem.  At any rate, I'm trying to get this antenna up  within a
week and need some advice ASAP.  The site that I tried to reach was
www.qsl.net/k7on/ant/antenna.htm.    I haven't had a chance to measure
between the 10 and 15 meter capacitor tubes yet.

Thanks in advance.....I'll let everyone know how I make out !

Bill Haselmire  WX8S
wbh3@chrysler.com