[TowerTalk] A Question of GAIN

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] A Question of GAIN
From: k2av@qsl.net (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 19:12:00 GMT
On Wed, 21 Oct 1998 08:47:58 -0400, "w8ji.tom" <w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com>
wrote:

>Hi Guy,
>
>> I am not as ready as Tom to dismiss the rather broad vertical nulls in
>> 20-10m yagi patterns at 60+ feet as a large factor in stack behaviour
>> during fades.
>
>Tom me? I didn't mean to imply null filling or movement is not important. I
>said (a long time ago) null filling was the advantage of a stack, not gain
>improvement.

OK, gets hard to keep stuff straight with all the quotes, etc.

>I actually stole my data from engineering textbooks that blame fading and
>selective fading on multipath in ionospheric paths (like page 33-24 of
>Jasik's Ant Eng Handbook, the NAB Handbook in various sections, and so on.

OK again.  Names from the Who's Who...  It sounded on surface as you
were using the broadcast methodology of choice as a priori evidence.
Still, the handbooks are the official transmittal devices of the
"tried and work OK" and as such still only rule things *in* and can't
rule new things *out*.

I would still like a mental leg up on the methodology used to
determine incoming angles & phases, and do a little new research and
mebbe come up with some new methods. If we go at this afresh,
especially if there are enough in hamdom who would do their own
measuring, we might discover something new that would explain some of
the anecdotes.

>73 Tom

Likewise, Guy.

Guy L. Olinger