[TowerTalk] Tower installation and tower parts

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower installation and tower parts
From: kq2m@mags.net (Robert L. Shohet)
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 08:12:39 -0800
Hi guys,

Finally got the holes dug for the towers - quite an interesting
challenge with lots of ledge, hills, etc. - on CQWW Sat. morning of
course, (NO - NOT how I planned it!)  Prospective towers to go up 100'
and 130'.

Now I can order the remaining parts that I need and would appreciate
feedback from those more knowledgeable on the following:

1) Most of the guy holes wound up about 4-5' deep, and about 4' x 5'.
Should I order the GAR30 anchor and the 5 hole equalizer plate, or
should I just get the heavier duty GAC3455 Anchor (with the 5 hole
plate)?  I would prefer the more cost-effective GAR30 + the plate to do
the job if this will be adequate.

2) I am NOT a macho tower climber so the idea of a work platform appeals
to me.  How helpful are these?  How difficult are they to move from one
part of the tower to another and why?

3) Other than Texas Towers, are there any other REASONABLY priced
suppliers of Rohn parts out there?

4) Is it best to use eye-to-eye turnbuckles or eye-to-jaw turnbuckles?
I have seen both used by experienced tower installers but e-t-e seems
safer.  What's best?

5) If the tower or guy hole was dug to deep, is it okay to fill it in to
the 4' deep level with loose dirt and THEN pour concrete or is it just
better to pour more concrete instead?

I would really appreciate your thoughts and responses to my questions.
Thanks for your help and 73!

Bob KQ2M