[TowerTalk] stack phasing questions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] stack phasing questions
From: k4ro@k4ro.net (K4RO Kirk Pickering)
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 08:01:48 -0600 (CST)
Will AA4NC wrote:

> I'm testing a 2/2 40m stack that uses a Cushcraft 402CD@70'...
> I'm finding the 2 antennas seperately to be close (within 3-5 dB
> of each other) as expected. What I find that bothers me is that
> the stack is almost always slightly weaker than either of the
> antennas alone. I wonder if it is a phasing problem?

That definately sounds like the problem, based on my recent
experience.  I had the exact same symptoms.  Stack always worse
than any single antenna, sometimes dramatically so.

> Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.

Just swap the phase of the feeders on the bottom yagi and run some
more tests.  It made a huge difference on my stack.  You might want
to make the feedpoints identical, instead of one with and one without
a balun.

-Kirk  K4RO