[TowerTalk] 10-meter LPDA

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 10-meter LPDA
From: dcoolica@planet.eon.net (Denis)
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 1998 10:54:08 -0600
L. B. Cebik wrote:

> Having searched for a single antenna that will cover all of 10-meters with
> roughly equal gain, F-B, and SWR, I am currently working with possible
> LPDA designs.  Translating these designs from calculating software, like
> LPCAD, into models of reasonable accuracy, and from there into something
> that can be built has turned out to have some interesting twists.
>
> So I have posted a work in progress, "A 10-Meter LPDA," at my site.  The
> semi-frozen design has just about the same gain as a 3-element Yagi on a
> short (8') boom, used for the LPDA, with >20 dB F-B across the band and a
> flat SWR curve (once you introduce a matching section).
>
> Lots of questions remain in my head about the design, its construction,
> and related matters, but I thought that summing up what I have encountered
> so far might be useful.  Remember not to translate anything relevant to
> the monoband LPDA to wide-band version covering many bands.  I hope the
> notes are useful to someone.
>
> Look under the Upper HF antenna collection in the main index.
>
> -73-
>
> LB, W4RNL
>
> L. B. Cebik, W4RNL         /\  /\     *   /  /    /    (Off)(423) 974-7215
> 1434 High Mesa Drive      /  \/  \/\     ----/\---     (Hm) (423) 938-6335
> Knoxville, Tennessee     /\   \   \ \   /  / || /      (FAX)(423) 974-3509
> 37938-4443     USA      /  \   \   \ \       ||              cebik@utk.edu
>
> --

On the wideband LPDA that I have modeled the gain is usually equivalent
to a 3 element monobander.  LPDA, I believe, are a bit difficult to
build.

What I suggest that you look at an OWA design. I modeled one and then
built it. Although it may be longer than you require it could be
shortened for less elements.  It is 6 elements on  a 36 ft boom. The SWR
is less than 1.1:1 from 28.0 to 29.6 Mhz. Bandwidth is 54 degrees and
F/b is 22 db. The feed point is 50 ohmns with an insulated dipole
connection.

It is up and working

Denis VE6AQ