[TowerTalk] great circle maps

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] great circle maps
From: W5HNS@aol.com (W5HNS@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 08:33:49 EST
I haven't been following the "true north" threads that close so this may be
redundant.

When W3UUM was recently installing my  2 element quad.  I told him to aim it
at my neighbors garage which was across the street.  Don't remember if I
explained to him that directly above the garage hung Polaris.  For a 2 el quad
and my previously
used TH-6, this seemed to match up with any bearings charts or great circle
maps
I was using.

NOW....someone once suggested to me that around the globe, radio waves
traveled
in curves following the global shape of the earth.  Similar to airplane flight
paths from
point A to B.  i.e. when point A is California and point B is Japan fly toward
Alaska.

I thought this was bunk but great circle maps seem to bear this out and so has
some of my beam positions after I moved it around to peak a particular signal.
Any comments?

Henry  W5HNS