[TowerTalk] 40/75 M antenna on Crank-up?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 40/75 M antenna on Crank-up?
From: djl@andlev.com (Dan Levin)
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 21:29:35 -0800
In olden times, we had a fixed mast that supported the tri-bander and the
40/80M inverted V.  All was well.

Then the bright young son (yours truly) installed a 70' crank-up tower.
Much better for the tri-bander.  Only one problem - what to do with the
wires?  In the long run, we hope to cut over to rotatable dipoles or beams
for the low bands, but for SS next weekend I need something up in the air.

The problem is the trees that surround the tower, and my desire to crank the
tower down most of the time.  When the tower is up, the V is fine (supported
at 70', just below the tri-bander).  But when the tower is down, the V will
droop into the nearby oak tree, and I am sure it will get tangled up sooner
or later.  I wonder what others do to support wires from their crank-ups?

A related question - one idea that I had was to build a couple of quickie
rotatable dipoles from Hamsticks, and mount them over the tri-bander.  Does
anyone have any idea what the efficiency and loss relative to a full size
dipole might be?

Thanks much,

            ***dan
            Dan Levin, N6BZA