[TowerTalk] Used TRI-EX Tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Used TRI-EX Tower
From: k6ll@juno.com (k6ll@juno.com)
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 16:13:27 +0000

On Mon, 16 Nov 1998 19:56:10 -0800 Jonathan Kaplan <jonk@jskent.com>
writes:

>Hi all,
>       I have the opportunity to pick up a TRI-EX 40' tower that is
>about
>16 years old. It has no name plate, so I can't tell which model it is.
>It is a two-section hand crank-up, the bottom section is about 6-9"
>on a side and it has a base plate about 2'x2'.
>1) Does anyone know the model # of this tower?
>2) Is it possible to add a section and make it a 60' tower?
>3) The cable is brown with rust:Is it advisable to replace it?
>4) Any ideas of the antenna area rating of this tower?
>5) The structure looks good, but covered with the dull aluminum oxide.
>       I'm inclined not strip or paint it, but is that wise given my
>QTH near
>       the ocean?

I think you mean zinc oxide. That's normal. I don't think you
need to paint it. Not right away anyhow.

Replace the cable. I don't think it would be cost effective to
add another section.

It could be an mw-35. Rotor mounts above the tower on a post,
house bracket or guys required, 9 1/4" face width on bottom
section, weighs 160 pounds, windload 9.5 sq feet @ 50 mph.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ
K6LL@juno.com

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]