[TowerTalk] Dismantling commercial tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Dismantling commercial tower
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 10:00:21 EST
In a message dated 98-11-18 07:18:58 EST, pizzabob@TWLakes.Net writes:

> I'm faced with the task of dismantling a 175' guyed commercial tower,
> formerly used by the phone co.  Don't know what make and model, but it is
> constructed from about 2-3" steel angles bolted together (vertically) with
> short angle irons, with each section 20-25' in height.  Small crossbars are
> bolted in a zigzag fashion.  Three sets of 3/8" guys, and it's sturdy as can
> be.  Ladder runs inside tower, and the faces are about 3' in width.  The
> bottom stand terminates in a point (pier pin??).
>
>  Obviously my 10' gin pole is inadequate if I dismantle it whole sections at
> a time.  Should I procure a much larger gin pole, or use the more tedious
> procedure of unbolting the sections bar by bar and lowering them in small
> pieces?

      This is a job for professionals. The sections probably weigh 300-400+
pounds each. You need all the necessary tools and experience to do it safely.
By your questions, I would surmise that you lack both. This is a moderately
BIG job.

>  Anyone able to guess who makes these towers?  The phone company guy is
> clueless.  What might it be worth?  I have visions of re-erecting it at
> another site, possibly adding a few sections of Rohn 45 or 55 for extra
> height.  It's in excellent shape, having been well-maintained and painted.

      There are dozens of tower manufacturers.

     Worth? To who?

      Do not add 45G or 55G sections without employing a Professional Engineer
to do the calcs and design the tower interface. No "hip-pocket" engneering
allowed.

>  Who makes a good, powerful winch that would be useful for this job?

     Windlass? Cable winch? Again, please leave this to the pros.

Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC