[TowerTalk] KT-34A on 30ft guyed telescoping mast?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] KT-34A on 30ft guyed telescoping mast?
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 10:20:03 EST
In a message dated 98-12-02 22:08:30 EST, kg0us@swbell.net writes:

> I am considering the purchase of
>  a KLM KT-34A tri-band beam and putting it up on the mast instead of the
>  R7.  This is KLM's smaller tri-bander.  It weighs 45 pounds and has a
>  6ft squared windload.  The beam is 27 pounds heavier and has 4ft squared
>  more windload than the R7.  Will the addition of the KLM tri-bander
>  along with the above mentioned smaller beams be too much and unsafe to
>  use on the existing 30 foot telescoping mast?

       Maybe. Probably. Without more details about your mast, it would be hard
to say. If it's one of those pushup masts from Radio Shack, I'd say no.
They're heavy but not very strong. They're designed for TV antennas, not HF
yagis.

>  I live in Jackson County,
>  Missouri were the wind speed can exceed a minimum of 70 MPH.

      Jackson County is a 75 MPH windspeed zone.

      If you really want to pursue this, I'd consider the Force 12 C3 instead
of the KT34A. It's smaller, lighter and probably works better. More details in
our tribander comparison report (www.championradio.com).

Cheers,  Steve   K7LXC
Champion Radio Products