[TowerTalk] thimble size

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] thimble size
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 09:33:56 EST
In a message dated 98-12-15 08:57:34 EST, mlowell@noclant.navy.mil writes:

> >2) If preform grips are used, the thimble size is 1/8" larger than the
>  >wire.

       This is not true. Here are the strand sizes and factory recommended
thimble sizes:

3/16" EHS     7/16-3/8" thimble
1/4"   EHS     1/2" thimble
5/16" EHS     1/2" thimble
>  >
>  >3) If 4000lb Phillystran is used  with Preform Grips, the thimble is
>  >7/16".

      This is correct but you're not using Phillystran.
>  >
>  >4) If 6700lb Phillystran is used with Preformed Grips, the thimble is
>  >1/2".

       This is also correct but you're still not using Phillystran.
>  >
>  >5) If Phillystran is used with cable clamps (highly not recommended) use
>  >one size smaller than above.

      Cable clamps and Phillystran do not mix anymore.
>  >
>  >In all cases the heavy duty version of the thimble is used.
>
>  This indicates that I need 3/8" thimbles....

       Use the 1/2" ones as per above.

Cheers,   Steve    K7LXC
Tower Tech
Champion Radio Products