[TowerTalk] Ox-gard

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ox-gard
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 11:55:13 EST
In a message dated 98-12-17 10:45:22 EST, ka4inm@gate.net writes:

<<  Some anti-OX's like some Pentrox's are conductive
 (I don't know why)

      Anti-oxidant pastes consist of two materials. One is the vehicle and the
other is the metal particles that actually make the connection. The vehicle is
non-conductive and is there to hold the particles in suspension as well as
seal against any moisture or oxygen coming into contact with the metal. If you
put put an ohmmeter in a glob of anti-oxidant, there might not be any
continuity (I haven't tested this).

     The way it works is that the connection UNDER COMPRESSION forces the
particulates through the outside oxidized layer. You can see that by applying
too much anti-oxidant that it might cause problems.

>>and these must not be used inside of
 connectors where they can bridge between the inner
 es outer conductor, the other kind, like silicone gell
 can and should be used to flood the insides of all
 outdoors connectors, water can't get in if it is
 already full. >>

       While I know that this is a practice with some RF installers, I would
rather do a bombproof job of weatherproofing and keep this sort of stuff out
of connectors. Just my opinion.

Cheers,   Steve    K7LXC