[TowerTalk] Vertical Dipoles

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Vertical Dipoles
From: n7cl@mmsi.com (Eric Gustafson)
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 17:19:16 -0700 (MST)

Hi Ted,

It was probably my post about our J-pole in the CQWW160CW a few
years back that you are referring to.

To answer your question; _ALL_ antennas are much affected by
their height above ground.  The J-Pole is no exception.

We used one because we were permitted to use a suitable support
so long as we made no conductive contact with it.  The J-pole
design allowed us to meet that goal while getting the radiator to
the height that we desired without requiring 300 odd feet of
RG213 feedline.  We did extensive modeling of the tower and
antenna as a system prior to putting it up.  As near as we could
tell, it played essentially as modeled.

It certainly exceeded our expectations in terms of comments we
received about signal levels even when we were running less than
100W off battery power during the construction and tuning phase
of the project.  Unfortunately for that test, we didn't get the
beverages organized so we weren't hearing all that well.  We'll
do better next time...

73, Eric  N7CL

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>