[TowerTalk] 60' tower on top of 20 foot building

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 60' tower on top of 20 foot building
From: n7cl@mmsi.com (Eric Gustafson)
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 16:22:59 -0700

Hi Pete,

Actually, the answer is a little of both.  For mutual coupling to
ground and what that does to element tuning and SWR, the antenna
will think its at about 60 feet (assuming it is otherwise pretty
much in the clear at that height).

For far field elevation pattern, unless the building is extremely
large, the height will appear to be the actual height above local
ground.  There will be some effect.  But as I said, unless the
building roof surface area is extremely large, the effect will be
amostly confined to very high elevation angles.

73, Eric  N7CL

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>