[TowerTalk] How much can a chimney support?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] How much can a chimney support?
From: w7why@harborside.com (Tom Osborne)
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 21:25:06 -0800

Dave_K9NX wrote:

> In the department of "other problems to consider" if you actually >use the
> fireplace to burn wood then expect your antenna to eventually >become covered
> with soot black another name for carbon . Amazingly >conductive this stuff
> called carbon and it will create resistance >paths across insulators and
> eventually lead to arching.

HI Dave

Boy, that's the truth. I had a TH-3jr up about 15 years ago,
right next to the fireplace chimney.  After one winter, the
antenna became inoperative.  I took it down, and it was covered
with soot, even inside the coils.  It ruined the antenna.  So
don't put an antenna on or near a chimney with smoke coming out
of it.  73
Tom W7WHY