[TowerTalk] Tower base drainage

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower base drainage
From: kc5ajx@hotmail.com (Rick Bullon)
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 05:07:02 GMT
  A few months ago I tried to get the base for my tower poured. I took a
week vacation from work and got the holes dug for the base and the
raised guy posts. Unfortunately UPS lost the base section I order from
Texas Towers and I couldn't pour the concrete ( Texas Towers shipped me
another base but it arrived a few days after my vacation ended).
 Since that time every weekend it has rained been too cold ( for me) or
I had to work until this coming weekend.
  My question is that all this time that I have had the holes dug the
hole for the tower base has held water ( we hit solid rock at all the
holes at about 4 feet. I have gravel in the holes as per the Rohn book
but with the solid rock in the bottom and the heavy red clay around the
sides of the holes ( the clay goes up the sides of the holes about 1 to
1 1/2 ft) there is no drainage at the site.
  Now in this part of Texas the low temps don't go below freezing but a
few times ie no long term freezing weather here.
  Do I need to worry about this water not draining out of the hole?  I
want to start getting this base done this week end but I don't want to
screw it up now.
  Thanks in advance More questions to follow when I start raising the
sections of tower  BTW this is Rohn 25 tower plan on going 70 ft all
work so far as per the Rohn book.
73
 Rick
KC5AJX