[TowerTalk] Pencil Marks

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Pencil Marks
From: n7cl@mmsi.com (Eric Gustafson)
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 17:31:20 -0700

Hi Kurt, Mike,

Well I asked the A&P guy.  He said that there are certified
markers that can be used.  He said they looked to him just like
Sharpies.  So, since this applies to metal marking which we do
here at work from time to time, I contacted Sanford (makes
Sharpies) and asked them about using Sharpies for metal marking.
I was put into contact with one of their their chemists.

Here is the useful part of our exchange:

>Dear Eric:
>
>Thank you for your inquiry regarding our Sharpie Marker.
>
>Actually, the Sharpie Marker may have high levels of halogens
>and Sulfur, which may cause corrosion on metal.  We have not
>performed any testing on this marker to know for sure.
>
>However, we offer a product called the T.E.C. Marker (Trace
>Element Certified.)  Every batch of ink for the T.E.C. Marker is
>tested in accordance with the GE Aircraft Engine Spec D50TF8-S6
>and the Dept of Energy Nuclear Spec RDT F7-3T.  The actual
>analysis and a certification letter, certifying that our marker
>ink is in compliance with these two specs, are supplied with the
>marker.

These markers are specifically intended for safely marking on
aluminum and other metal surfaces.  I subsequently found out that
any reasonably large stationery store that carries Sanford
products can order these pens for you.  But you have to know the
correct part number.  So, here 'tis:

Sanford 13501 (may be shown as SAN-13501).  This is a black broad
tip marker.

Sanford 13401 (may be shown as SAN-13401).  This is a black fine
tip Sharpie

As you can see, the choice of color is not difficult.

It may well be that the regular Sharpie is safe for aluminum
without the certification.  But to be absolutely certain, the
T.E.C. markers are the way to go.  I didn't run down the price.

The vehicle appears to be Xylene.  Some of the trace elements
listed in the sheet they sent me are aluminum and zinc.  It is an
impressive list but does not contain carbon or graphite.

73, Eric  N7CL