[TowerTalk] Quad Assistance

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Quad Assistance
From: bravo@iol.ie (John Tait)
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 18:56:21 -0000
Hello Jim...
-----Original Message-----
From: Jason N5NU <n5nu@inu.net>
To: towertalk@contesting.com <towertalk@contesting.com>
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: 17 January 1999 18:15

>Hello to all,
> I am in the process of assisting my 15 yr. old son assemble a 2 element
>quad for 10-15 & 20 meters. The fibergalss spreaders come in two parts and
>are attached with a hose clamp (easily removed and separated). The quad
>will reside on a homebrew fold-over pole. The pole will fold over until the
>rotor rest on the ground if no anntenna is attached.
> What I would like to do is attach the wires to the spreader in such a
>manner that the 15 & 20 meter wires could be easily unfastened allowing me
>to disconnect the outer portion of the fiberglass spreader and tilting the
>antenna closer to the ground (about 4 ft closer). This would allow the
>rotor to near enough to the ground that I could easily make mast to boom
>connections etc. The outer portion of the spreader could them be replaced,
>the wires reconnected and raised back up into the air. At 340 lbs I'm not
>the most nimble person around when it comes to climbing...that's why I
>built the foldover pole about 20 yrs ago. Any thoughs would be appreciated.
>(except go on a diet- I hear that from my Dr. Hi Hi)

          Build one side of the quad with the tower tilted over. When all
the elements are atttached etc, crank it up high enough to rotate it 180
degrees. The built part is now up in the air. and you build the other half
still standing on the ground.  With my quad, I never have to climb any
higher than three steps up the step ladder..

              Have a look at my site at  http://ireland.iol.ie/~bravo/#top
you may find some usefull info..

             73, and good luck.
               Have FUN..