[TowerTalk] Turning the entire tower... why?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Turning the entire tower... why?
From: w4an@contesting.com (Bill Fisher - W4AN)
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 09:25:25 -0500 (EST)

> For all those wondering... the Prop pitch will turn a small tower with two
> 10 meter yagis, spaced approx 1/2 wave apart.

Boy Mike when I was reading your message I thought you were going to be
turning multiple stacked 40 meter or 20 meter mono banders.  Then I read
that you are only turning a couple of 10's.

A couple of thoughts...  Why turn the entire tower?  N4AR has water pipe
that he runs up the side of the tower all the way from the ground.  I
believe you coule turn a 4-high stack on 10 meters with a T2X with this
set up.  Only disadvantage is not being able to turn 360 degrees.
Personally, I can always find 45 degrees that I almost never beam.

When WX4G sold out, I bought two Rohn-25 top sections that had been
modified to have a mast welded in to the top section.  The mast sticks out
about 6 feet.  I stick the mast in to the top of my Rohn 25 tower with a
thrust bearing at the top.  I'm turning two HG 105CA's seperated by 25'
and turning it with a Yaesu 1000SDX.  I've been turning it this way for
almost 2 years.  No problem.

WX4G was using the rotating guy attachment rings on his towers and
rotating something like 60' of tower above the thrust bearing.  You can
get a look at my set up at http://www.contesting.com/w4an/10m.htm

My suggestion... KISS and save the prop pitch for something that needs a
prop-pitch.

73

Bill, W4AN