[TowerTalk] keyhole antenna pattern

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] keyhole antenna pattern
From: sales@advantagecomm.net (Scott Bullock)
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 12:34:52 -0500
Hi Mario, How have you been? It's been a long time! Are you still with GTZ?

Adding a phasing harness into the system will automatically drop you down 3db
from where you were with one antenna. My advise is to dump the yagi, or replace
both antennas with a folded dipole style phased array, where you could "steer"
the pattern in a particular direction with 2 or more of the dipoles.

In my opinion, that would be the best way to accomplish what you want to do.
But unfortunately, these antennas come at a typically higher price than a
standard fiberglass style antenna.

Look at my site for different base antennas, there are many types there.

73,

Scott

KA1CLX

At 01:52 PM 1/22/99 +0300, you wrote:

>Dear OM?s

>Greetings from Uganda!

>Who can help?

>I want to put up a VHF repeater for the UARS, Uganda Amateur Radio Society

>here in Kampala, with a 6dB omnidirectional collinear antenna, together with

>a 6-el.-Yagi antenna for a ?Keyhole antenna pattern?!

>The Collinear antenna is mounted on the top of mast, and the Yagi, (at

>present 1 lambda ) below.

>Who knows the correct vertical spacing for that kind of setup!

>I can?t find anything in the ARRL antenna book.

>I?m using a Procom  Harness / or combiner cable, and exact 3m coaxial cable

>between the two antennas, for correct phasing.

>But the system seems not to work properly.

>Poor signal in 30-km distance, in the direction of the Yagi, as well in the

>back, where the omnidirectional should do the job!

>Any help is highly appreciated!

>N.B. I?m working here for a communication company, as the Technical Manager,

>and I?m looking as well for good quality, commercial mobile HF antennas

>(fiberglass). Any ideas? Outbacker, or Comet, do they manufacture commercial

>antennas?

>Vy 73?s 55

>De 5X1C, Mario Berger

<bold><bigger>

Advantage Communications

</bigger></bold>Professional Wireless Communications

www.advantagecomm.net

978-568-1944