[TowerTalk] 12 meters on C-4

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 12 meters on C-4
From: ronc@sonic.net (Ron Castro)
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 18:19:35 -0800
You could be right, Ben.  I also worked the ZL9 in 12, and most of the other
Pacific DXpeditions.  What worries me is that a 5.2:1 SWR in the shack at
the end of 100' of RG-213 indicates a 15:1 SWR at the antenna, based on a
normal matched loss of 1.2 dB.  The additional losses caused by that great
of a miss-match adds another 4 dB, ending up with a gain of -5.2 dBd.

This may be mitigated by the fact that the antenna does have a 6 dB
front-to-back ratio, which would be consistent with a forward gain of 3 dB
caused by parasitic interaction with the 15 meter driven element acting as a
reflector, and/or the 10 meter elements acting like directors, making the
net loss only 1 dB compared to a dipole.  Still, it would be nice to restore
the 4 dB lost in the miss-match!

A PS to all the Tower Talk members:  I have been delighted reading the posts
on this list-server since I signed up a few weeks ago.  It's so much more
congenial and educational here then with those flame-throwin' crazies on the
regular ham radio newsgroups!

Ron N6AHA