[TowerTalk] Attaching Large Antennas to Rohn-45 Legs

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Attaching Large Antennas to Rohn-45 Legs
From: n4kg@juno.com (T A RUSSELL)
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 11:35:26 -0600
Bill et.al.,

For 24 ft booms,  I have found 4 U-bolts, preferably with a 1-1/2 inch
opening,
works very well in attaching booms to a Rohn 25 / 35 tower leg.

The idea of attaching a 48 ft boom to a tower leg gives me the willies !

One, or even better, two pieces of  aluminum channel 2 in. X 6 in. with
attached across TWO  legs and extending out 6 to 12 inches is a much
stronger arrangement.   A short piece to 2 inch diameter mast can then
be attached to the extension with an additional 2 U-bolts per support.

The closer the short mast is to the tower the less it will torque the
tower.
With the mast close to one of the tower legs, the antenna can be rotated
120 degrees.   With the mast spaced equal to the tower leg spacing,
rotation is increased to 150 degrees.   Using a swing gate arrangement,
it is possible to get 300 degrees of rotation, for SMALL antennas.  With
48 ft boom, I would opt for minimum torque on the tower.

de  Tom   N4KG

On Sat, 23 Jan 1999 19:36:54 -0500 "Bill Fisher, W4AN"
<w4an@contesting.com> writes:

>Guys,
>
>I have a 8/8 stack to Europe for 10 meters on 48' booms.  I'm also
>putting
>up 7/7 for 15 meters on 48' booms.  I'm wondering what type of boom to
>leg
>arrangement to use.  I'm leary of tightening a u-bolt too tight around
>the
>tower leg.  My thought now is to use 4 U-bolts on the tower leg for
>each
>antenna.  Any other advice?
>
>73
>
>Bill
>

>Bill Fisher, W4AN (EX KM9P)
>http://www.contesting.com

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]