[TowerTalk] quad, rotor& pole

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] quad, rotor& pole
From: n5nu@inu.net (J. Goldsberry)
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 12:36:34 -0600
Hello All,
  I've just replaced a perfectly good Mosley Cl-33 that's been in use for
over 20 yrs. with an Antenna Mart 2-element quad. This is my 15 yr. old
sons idea...He is much more of an experimenter than I am, and I'm gullable
enough to go along with the idea.
 The problem that I'm concerned about is how likely is this thing to come
tumbling down with the first good wind.
 The quad has a wind surface area of about 9 sq. ft. (according to the
manual) and probably weighs about 45 lbs (8' x3" dia). It's situated on a
2" boom as near to the top of the rotor as possible.
 The rotor is mounted on a pole...not inside a tower with thrust bearings etc.
My first question is, what kind (size, make or model will be required to
support this contraption with some degree of safety? All that I know about
the rotor that it's currently on is that I've had it in use for the last 20
yrs, It"s got 8 wires going to it and the control box has CDE written in
the bottom left corner. It also has a brake release switch with two buttons
for turning, and knobs for calibration and on/off switch.
 All of this is located on a homebrew fold-over pole that I built back in
the mid 70's (when I was a young man and oil field material (drill stem &
upset tubing was plentiful and  cheap and I had welding equipment)
 Maybe someone can tell me how to determine what kind-size of rotor I've got.
Also, how long is this experimental stage likely to last? I've heard that
quads are like the measles... you can only have them once. Hi Hi

73 Jim KC5FR  OM
      Jason N5NU experimenter
n5nu@inu.net
http://www.inu.net/n5nu/