[TowerTalk] A3S SWR Problem (kinda lenghty)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] A3S SWR Problem (kinda lenghty)
From: ronc@sonic.net (Ron Castro)
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 21:19:00 -0800
Michael:

Been there, done that!  You have water in your traps, and running even a
little bit of power has zapped one or more of the insulators inside the
traps.  The first time I did that on my A-4, I spent hours grinding carbon
out of the 20 meter trap internal insulator, and was able to repair it.

Even though the elements may look straight, there is no way to make them
straight enough to allow all of the water to drain out of the weep holes.
Since they are always on a slight slant, the water will collect in one end
and stay there until it evaporates, which may take a long time in cold, wet
weather.   Also, moisture builds up on the coil forms, and when it
evaporates can leave a residue between the windings that can trap even more
moisture next time around.  If you live near the ocean, this residue can be
mostly salt which gets conductive when wet, shorting the coil and can also
corrode the connection points.

Most of the unstable SWR readings you observed can be attributed to moisture
reacting to heat generated in the coils or by arcing.  This was clearly
evident in my situation and it was no surprise that the problems disappeared
in the summer, and returned the  winter.

I finally gave up and retired the beam and replaced it with a Force 12 C-4.
No traps=no problems!  Not even in last year's El nino' here in Northern
California.

Ron N6AHA