[TowerTalk] Preventive Maintenance

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Preventive Maintenance
From: gbay@odi.com (gbay)
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 09:44:36 -0500
Once again, thanks for all the help with the rotator bolts...very
interesting thread.  Now that I have replaced the bolts, I begin to worry
about what else may go wrong.  (And yes, I do an annual inspection and I
also replace the cable every few years).  I'm particularly concerned about
the limit switches on the motorized crank up tower (TX-472MDP).  It sure
would be unfortunate for the upper limit switch to fail and have the whole
rig extend itself into oblivion!!  So my questions are:

    1. Should the limit switches be replaced periodically or other
maintenance be done on them?
    2.  Has anyone ever had them fail or are they pretty much fail-safe.
    3.  How often do others replace the cables?
    4.  In general, what other kinds of preventive maintenance should be
done on the motorized tower to keep things in perfect working order?

Again, thanks for the help.

Gerry, W1XY