[TowerTalk] TWO VERTICALS One Fed 90degrees Behind The Other

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] TWO VERTICALS One Fed 90degrees Behind The Other
From: w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com (w8ji.tom)
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 02:13:13 -0500
Hi Dave,

> SO, my question is WHAT HAPPENED? Should I tune the antennas lower in
> freq?  The ARRL ant. book makes no mention of this weird scenario.

Mutual coupling is what happened.

The antennas couple power through the air from one antenna to another.
Because of the phase delay in space, and because of the delay line that is
NOT shifting phase the amount you (and the Handbook) think, the power
coupled through space arrives at the antennas with a phase delay that is
neither in phase or out of phase exactly.

What you are experiencing is "normal". It's normal because non-commercial
phasing systems are traditionally done (incorrectly) by just connecting a
certain length cable, and expecting a phase shift that is always related to
the cable's electrical length. That's only true under a narrow set of
conditions that usually are not met in most simple systems. It certainly is
not met in the system you described.

73 Tom