[TowerTalk] sad day for ham radio

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] sad day for ham radio
From: k2av@qsl.net (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 17:52:01 GMT
On Mon, 1 Feb 1999 10:37:40 -0500 , "Gilmer, Mike" <mgilmer@gnlp.com>
wrote:

>Yes, what ever Brian's reasons may be, the loss of his software cannot
>be a good thing.
>
>We keep several "legacy" PCs around (<=WIN 3.1) just so that our older
>products can be supported (software and hardware).  I do not know if we
>could even find the original DOS6.22 or WIN3.1 disks if we needed to
>create a "new" "old" machine if one of these legacy PCs bites the dust.
>Could be painful.

I keep one of my computers as a dual boot. Two C drives in primary
partitions and a shared D drive in the extended partition. One C drive
has Windows 98, the other DOS 6.22. The D drive and the DOS C are
FAT16 and the windows is FAT 32. The only use for the D drive is to
hold stuff I want to transfer from one to the other. I am carfule to
use only 8x3 names there.

I use boot manager from an old copy of OS/2 to start up. I can start
up Win 3.1 from the DOS partion if I want to. I use a single 450 meg
HD on this computer, and use the DOS boot for running TR in contests.
One of these days Microsoft may condescend to allowing us
unmentionables to set a dos window as primary and run dos programs
without all the problems, but until then, I just go retrograde. DOS is
absolutely lightning on a pentium 200. It's also where I go if I am
doing crushing model runs with EZNEC. Seems 1/3 or 1/2 faster that
way.

A newer approach to switching system boot is a little program that
comes with newer releases of Partition Magic. One uses the same
partition list and usage, except the little program switches the C
drive in use, instead of using a primary partition to hold Boot
Manager. It also doesn't get confused with hard drives greater than 2
GB.

Some of the DOS stuff is just too good to throw away, including
Brian's stuff. As they say in the wedding ceremony, some things new
and some things old. New ain't always better.

73 y'all,

Guy

Guy L. Olinger
k2av@qsl.net