[TowerTalk] Quads and Wind

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Quads and Wind
From: bravo@iol.ie (John Tait)
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 19:12:20 -0000
Hello Lee..

>Just trying to determine what I want to do this spring... antenna wise....
>and was wondering if anyone out there is using a Quad in a windy
environment.

      I use a homebrew 2el spider quad. I'm situated on the S/E tip of Cork
harbour on the Sth coast of Ireland. We know ALL about wind here
....Hi..Hi..!
    This winter we have had storms with wind in excess of 80mph on at least
three occasions. The quad is still there....!
    I lost the quad on Christmas Eve 1997 in a gale 110mph +.  The metal
spider broke. I built a stronger spider, and rebuilt the quad in about 2
days. I guess that with wind of that strength, just about ANY kind of
antenna would be damaged..

>Living in Kansas (means people of the South wind), we have some pretty
>constant blow of 25 to 30 miles an hour.  Conventiona wisdom in Kansas says
>you cannot have a quad.

    Lee.. That's just a gentle breeze.....!!!!

     Good luck with whatever antenna you decide on ..

                 73 es gud DX
                   de
                    John       EI7BA         (see my quad at
http://ireland.iol.ie/~bravo/#top )