[TowerTalk] Re: comments on Yagi height

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: comments on Yagi height
From: rick@area.com (rick@area.com)
Date: 9 Feb 1999 05:56:41 -0000

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
> Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 22:04:51 -0800
> From: VE3KKM <kmccourt@tbaytel.net>
> Subject: [TowerTalk] Comments On Yagi Height
>
> Hello All,
> I have been thinking on raising my tower by 8` or maybe even
> 16`.Currently it is 56` with a 40-2 cd at 58` and a homebrew 20 meter
> yagi at 68`.
> Just wondering if I would "really" notice any improvement on 40 meters
> by doing so.
> Would like to get some comments before I go ahead and do all this work.
> Thanks, Kevin

I have been conducting tests comparing a 40 meter inverted vee with
90 degree apex angle at an apex height of 90 feet with a similar
antenna at 55 feet, and also with a ground mounted quarter wave vertical
with a couple dozen 35 foot radials laying on the ground.  I have
listened to all the foreign broadcasters on 41 meters that I can and
ham DX such as ZS, and ZL when I could find it.  So far, I have found
that all three antennas are interchangeable within any differences I
can detect (I would say 2-3 dB is the minimum detectable difference).
Based on the results so far, it is extremely difficult for me to believe
that 8 or 16 would make any difference at all.  I really wanted the
90 foot antenna to work like a big gun, but so far it's nothing special.
Anyone else have results to agree or disagree with mine?  I am going
to continue testing.

Rick Karlquist N6RK
rick@area.com
www.karlquist.com