[TowerTalk] GAP Vertical Response Summary

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] GAP Vertical Response Summary
From: GIG38@aol.com (GIG38@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 22:47:26 EST
In case anyone is interested:

I received 16 responses to my question regarding Gap Verticals. Here is a
response summary:

Positive:  1

Ho Hum:  1

Negative: 14

Of the 14 negatives four stated the Gap is slightly more than a dummy load on
160.  No joke they all independently included the  "dummy load" statement.

Two responses said the Gap was fair on 80

Once response said the Gap was OK on 40

Two responses recommended other verticals.

One response recommended the Carolina Windom 160  ( I had one up for 2 years
until Hurrican Fran took it down and it worked very well at 85 feet)

One response recommended a 130 ft inverted L  ( I too had an inverted L at 40
feet which was at times less, equal to or a tad better than the Carolina
Windom.

My conclusion is:

1.  For now stick with my inverted V at 85 Ft. off a 90' Rohn 45 (130' legs)
2.  Put up another Carolina Windom before next winter
3.  Put up an 80 meter Delta Loop in addition to the Windom and V
4.  Put up either 4 EWE or 3 Beverages for Top Band

I am fortunate to have six acres of woods here so it will be interesting to
hang considerable amounts of wire through, and in the trees and off the tower.

Thanks much to all who were so kind to respond, your comments are greatly
appreciated.  I would welcome other wire antenna recommendations for 160/80
DXing as well.

This is a great reflector thanks to all the participants sharing their
knowledge and experience.

73

Jack W0UCE