[TowerTalk] telephone pole as tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] telephone pole as tower
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 13:18:08 EST
In a message dated 99-02-14 11:32:26 EST, kb9mci@urbancom.net writes:

> Could I have you opinions as to using a telephone pole for a tower.
>
>  The height or the pole is 50', with another 10 ' in the ground and, it
>  is approximately 3 to 4 feet wide at the bottom.  It will be supporting
>  a rotor, 22 element 70 cm beam, 15 element 2m beam, and a 2m 70 cm
>  vertical.

Hi, Bryan --

       My first antenna support was a pole. It held up one end of my 75M
dipole (at about 20 feet I might add).

      First of all, according to the windspeed zone list on
www.championradio.com, Cook County is a 75 MPH windspeed zone. 70 MPH is the
lowest rating they give so this is not a high wind area (except if you live
close to the lake or on a bluff where the winds might be higher).

>  Does anyone have any idea if this is feasible and if so does more of the
>  pole need to be in the ground.

       Your installation is pretty modest so it should be just fine. The
biggest problem is that you'll have to fabricate some sort of rotator mount.
Nobody makes one for pole mounting.

       According to The Lineman's and Cableman's Handbook (8th ed.), the
recommended depth is 10% of the length plus 2 feet. So you're looking at seven
feet for a reliable installation.

Cheers and GL,   Steve    K7LXC