[TowerTalk] Hy-Gain vs. Yaesu

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Hy-Gain vs. Yaesu
From: k3gt@pgh.net (Bob Thacker)
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 20:01:45 -0500
Hello all. Have a Ham-IV turning a Wilson System 1 at 68' and a Hy-gain
402BA at 78'. Mast is steel with .250" wall. Only troubles have been
mast windmilling which was  solved by using larger "U" Bolts (housing
had to be fitted) and a jam bolt into the mast. The mast is not pinned.
My theory is, its ok for the mast to twist a few degrees rather that
taking out the gear, since the stack is bigger than the recommended
capacity of the rotor. This rotor was purchased new in 1979 and the only
maintenance has been replacement of the exterior wire connector board
and the ring gear which cracked in a very bad wind storm with a much
smaller antenna on it. I believe the original gear was aluminum, the new
one is steel.

73,
Bob, K3GT