[TowerTalk] Tower Demolition Site

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower Demolition Site
From: ronc@sonic.net (Ron Castro)
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 19:58:23 -0800
> - the Hawaii station used an 800 foot base-fed vertical suspended from
>2500 foot long horizontal wires strung across the mountain peaks of Haiku
>valley at Kaneohe,  Oahu.  the horizontal wires provided some top-loading
>but were not radiators as such.

I used to live a few miles from that site, and it was awesome to look at!
The other station on Oahu was Lualualei on the Waianai coast.  As I recall,
it was two 1,000' verticals and it's own salt lake for the ground!

Here in Petaluma, CA there are the remains of some large navigation system
that was decommissioned years ago.  It may have been Loran, but  it
consisted of a pair of 650' verticals, spaced over a mile a part in the salt
marsh leading to the San Francisco Bay.  We still use one of the two
buildings for our Field Day sites, but the beautiful towers are long gone.-
: (  ...but the ground system and the salt marsh that it's in is still
there, and makes our FD antennas kick butt!

Ron
N6AHA