[TowerTalk] Plumbing a 100' 45G

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Plumbing a 100' 45G
From: W4QA@charlotte.infi.net (Rush Johnson)
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 11:45:02 -0500
What is the "proper" way to plumb a 100' guyed 45G tower?  I have almost
finished erecting the tower (it's up to 70' now) and have installed two
guy stations at 33' and 66' (the last station will be at 99') using
Phillystran with short 1/4" EHS sections down near the anchors.  The
tower is "plumb" according to my four foot level, but doesn't look that
way to the eye.  Not sure if its an optical illusion (due to the tower
being in the woods with some really tall trees behind it) or not, but
want to make sure its "dead on" accurate.

Also, if I use the guys to pull the tower one way or another to
straighten it up, doesn't this upset the balance of forces on the three
legs?  How much is too much when tensioning the guys to plumb?

Thanks for any advice.

73,

Rush -- W4QA

--
Rush Johnson -- W4QA  (ex NR4M , WD4AEI)

100 Horseman Cove
Matthews, NC  28105-7760

Tel: 704.814.0487