[TowerTalk] Tower Rust Prevention - Summary of Suggested Solutions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower Rust Prevention - Summary of Suggested Solutions
From: w2gd@hotmail.com (John Crovelli)
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 09:09:26 PST
I want to thank the following people for their input regarding products
that can be applied to tower sections to inhibit rust:
W4QA, K2IX/4, AJ4Y, N5RP, W3EKT, K7LXC, GM4JJJ, ON4MA, K4ZA, K9VV, AA4Z,
KH7R, K1RC, KE3Q, KI7Y, P43P, and K4CIA.

The following is a summary of the products suggested:

Epoxy Based Industrial Coatings
Zinc Chromate
Toluene-based Epoxy
Finnigan's Waxoyl
Leeds Hammerite Products    www.hammerite-automotive.com
Black Varnish
Trailercoat by Petitt Paints
Carbo-mastic paint
Aluminum Roofing Paint - Henry's Alumi-top
Interlux Brightside Polyurethane Topside Paint
ZRC Cold Galvanizing Compound and ZRC Galvilite  www.zrcworldwide.com

Unfortunately I have had limited time to complete the research
originally intended.  Needing to make a decision quickly (I leave for
Aruba next Wednesday afternoon) I decided to purchase two gallons of ZRC
Cold Galvanizing Compound.  I spoke with the manufacturer directly after
reviewing the information provided on their exceptional website (see URL
above).  This material bonds to previously hot galvanized steel, and
forms a self-healing protective barrier, through what they call galvanic
action.  The primary ingredient is zinc dust particles that bond with
the underlying metal.  It is not a paint, but rather an industrial film,
but can be applied by brush or roller as well as sprayed.

This stuff is HEAVY, weighting 24 pounds per gallon! I think the weight
indicates it must be 95% zinc. Underwriter's Laboratories certifies this
product is equivalent to hot-dip galvanizing when properly applied.  The
manufacturer says a 3 mil coating, equivalent to two coats, provides
this level of protection. And unlike hot-dip galvanizing, ZRC self-heals
itself if scratched, because of the continuing galvanic reaction that
takes place.

Take a look at their website.  It has lots of technical papers and user
testimonials.  Results of product testing in salt environments for
various lengths of exposure are numerous and convincing.

The product is a bit pricy.  A local supplier in NJ quoted me
$124/gallon.  I ended up purchasing two gallons directly from the
manufacturer, which with UPS shipping, cost a more reasonable
$103/gallon.

Thanks to everyone for their advice and encouragement.  This may not be
the ultimate solution but it certainly looks promising.  I'll let you
know in a year or so how it's working.

73,

John W2GD/P40W