[TowerTalk] Ground Rod Under Tower Base

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ground Rod Under Tower Base
From: ronc@sonic.net (Ron Castro)
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 20:50:10 -0800
I would worry that the current that flows through the conductor leading to
the bottom of the foundation could cause sufficient heat, even though only
for a fraction of a second, that  the base could fracture.  Concrete is
semi-permeable, and generally contains moisture, even in dry climates.  The
instant vaporization of the moisture (water expands to 800 times its volume
with it turns to steam) might blast the foundation enough to do permanent
damage.

I recall reading that somewhere, but I can't remember exactly where.  There
might be some reference to it in Polyphasor's excellent book "The Grounds
for Lightning"

Ron, N6AHA