[TowerTalk] Arresting your Fall; following your arrest: Harnesses at Hom

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Arresting your Fall; following your arrest: Harnesses at Home Depot
From: Tower1313@aol.com (Tower1313@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 14:17:17 EST
Hello Gene,
     The fall arresting equipment that you speak of is a very good form of
safety equipment. In the Tower Erection field, we use a similar device that
connects to a 3/8" cable. Both Home Depots and Tower Manufactures fall
arresting equipment are great and OSHA approved.
     We are required to where them while erecting, inspecting or maintaining a
tower or equipment on the tower.
     If you do slip or fall....your fall will only be that of the length of
your lanyard. I preferably use Harness with a D-ring in the front, connect my
safety climb device to that D-ring with a Beaner, some prefer to use a large
quick link. The reason I prefer this is....If I slip or fall....I only fall
inches maybe a foot....Henceforth, upon reaching your destination, you are
able to use your lanyard to tie off to the tower before you unhook the safety-
climb device from you safety climb rope. The prosess being reversed upon
finishing your work.
     Let me go one step further, as this is an excellent form of safety for
erections. When erecting a tower, attach the end of your safety climb rope to
a screw shackle, while you are working or waiting for the next section to
arrive, you are not bucked off to safety climb rope, and if you use my method,
your safety climb device is attached firmly to you D-ring in the front of your
harness and you  are bucked off to the tower with your lanyard....now....when
the next section arrives....remove the screw shackle with the safety climb
rope and attach it to the top of the next section so that when you are ready
to spin the section around your gyn pole, your safety climb rope will be ready
for your use to climb the newly installed section.
     This is a requirement in my field of work and does very nicely without to
much hassle...thus allowing all field personel on the tower to be 100% tied
off with 0% risk of falling due to any other reason then faulty equipment or
the tower coming over. I really like those odds, don't you? <chuckle>
     I again hope my input is useful to any and all and thankyou for you time.
     I appologize for the depth of detail, but there may be someone new to
this that may appreciate it.
                                           Later Fellas,
                                           John David Beattie
                                            Tower1313