[TowerTalk] 4 point guying...how?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 4 point guying...how?
From: mcduffie@scottsbluff.net (Gary McDuffie, Sr.)
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 08:41:36 -0700
On Thu, 1 Apr 1999 07:27:21 EST, Chanel1096@aol.com wrote:

> >     One guy on one leg, another guy on another leg and two guys on the third
> >leg. Anchors spaced every 90 degrees.

> The only problem with that method of guying is that any for induces a torsion
> in the tower, which for a zig-zag tower like the 25G can be a problem.  So if
> you are going to use a 4-point system on a tower, be wary of how you set up
> the guys and how you load the tower.

I don't know if I can adequately describe this to get the point across
or not, but I'm wondering about a variation that would equalize the
load.

How about two legs with a single guy each, and the third leg that has
one very short (inches to feet in length) guy going to an "equalizer
plate" (like a splitter).  The other two guys go different directions
from the equalizer.  Angle and pull would need to be balanced on the odd
guy, but would be very flexible as to where they were placed as long as
symmetry were maintained.  The back side singles would be 120 degrees
apart, and the split side would depart at 120 degrees from the others,
but would then split to whatever angle was needed (not to be TOO
shallow).

Making the split guy too short would make balancing the act even more
critical, so I would assume making it a few feet long would be best.

The tension on the short part of the split leg would need to be proper,
and would need a lot more math than I can do to calculate.

THIS IS NOT SOMETHING I'VE SEEN RECOMMENDED BY A TOWER MANUFACTURER, ITS
JUST AN IDEA THAT CAME TO MIND WHEN READING THE QUESTION.  I'M GOING TO
RELY ON STEVE AND OTHERS TO SHOOT IT DOWN IF IT WON'T FLY!

A little ASCII art follows (being E-mail, I'm assuming everyone knows
you should be viewing it in fixed pitch font).  ;o)

                     \          /
                      \        /         X = Tower
                       \      /          : = Equalizer or splitter
                        \    /          -- = Short guy to Equalizer
                       /      \

Again, angle on the right pair of guys wouldn't be critical, as long as
they were equal and not too shallow (the ascii diagram looks too shallow
to me).

Take aim guys.  Fire away.  Is this doable?

Gary - AGØN
mcduffie@scottsbluff.net