[TowerTalk] RE: Antenna Grounding

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] RE: Antenna Grounding
From: n1rui@together.net (Jim Marciniak)
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 11:04:43 -0500
I'm with Chuck on this one.

If you consider the fact that a strike has just traveled several thousand
feet to hit your antenna, trying to "isolate" the coax is probably an
exercise in futility - another few feet from the end of your coax to ground
is nothing.

Further, if you have your coax inside the shack, and either disconnect it
and leave the coax sitting inside (especially if you are in a basement with
a concrete floor), or feed the end outside your window but still have part
of the coax inside the shack, you may indeed prevent a strike from hitting
your radio - but lightning is as hot as the surface of the sun, so you may
loose you equipment in the ensuing fire!

Best to ground the coax, the tower, the rigs, and so forth - thoroughly. One
ground rod ain't NEAR enough!

73...... Jim  N1RUI