[TowerTalk] Buried Hardline

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Buried Hardline
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 14:26:56 -0500

On Fri, 02 Apr 1999 12:20:48 -0500 "J.P. Kleinhaus" <w2xx@cloud9.net>
writes:

>I direct buried my nine runs of hardline *under* two runs of 4"
>PVC conduit.  The hardline uses a flooding compound under the
>jacket and is made for that application.

Unarmored CATV hardline is not made for direct burial. The flooding
compound is to seal nicks, etc in aerial applications AND underground
applications thru PVC and burial chambers. It is primarily used in
coastal, industrial and other areas where exposed cable is subject to a
corrosive enviroment and developments where all wiring must be
underground.

Yes, it will work as will jacketed and not flooded cable for ham
applications where a 25 year life is not expected.

>posed earlier, burying bare aluminum jacketed hardline is BAD!

Why?  It all depends upon the Ph factor of the soil. Ive had scrap hunks
of bare cable out in the woods for 10 years with absolutely no sign of
pitting.  I know of a few VHF types around here that have buried bare
cable in bony NE soil and the loss has not changed in over 15 years.

Now, in Ohio ( MidWest in general) or beach front areas that would be a
no-no. Contact your local University or county agent for site specific Ph
info.

73  Carl  KM1H

>73, J.P. W2XX
>

>--

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]