[TowerTalk] Gin Pole Strength

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Gin Pole Strength
From: K7NV@contesting.com (Kurt Andress)
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 17:10:00 -0800
"Gary McDuffie, Sr." wrote:

snip

> What cracks me up is the thought of all the real experts sitting on the
> side "listening" to all of this and laughing as we all spout off our own
> theories.  It will be interesting when they finally speak up and we get
> the real scoop.
>
> Gary
> --

Gary,

I swore I wasn't going to get back into this one! So much for good
intentions!

I quickly realized that the conflicting opinions far exceeded my available
bandwidth.

I chose not to be branded as a non-participant, sitting on the side, so...

Here's my simple view of the problem, not necessarily "the real scoop," as
I'm sure we will soon see.....

The gin pole usually has two forces acting at the top. One is a vertical
force trying to compress the pole. The other is a horizontal load trying to
bend it. The magnitudes of the forces are determined by the load, we are
trying to lift, and the line angle from the pole top to that load.

We can put any mechanical system between the load and the pole or the ground
and the pole to make the lifting job easier, but we still have the same
load, we are trying to lift, acting at the same angle.
The only way to change the forces on the pole is to change the load or the
angle, not the mechanics of the gear between them.

That's just my opinion!
And, for some reason, I find myself unable to follow the rest of the plot.

So, I gladly exit the discussion, having offered one perspective, and
leaving it for others to finish.

Everyone have a great Easter!

--
73, Kurt