[TowerTalk] Guy wire interaction - the devil is in the details

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guy wire interaction - the devil is in the details
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 18:04:28 -0400

On Thu, 8 Apr 1999 15:07:27 -0400 "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
writes:
>> How incorrect?  My handy dandy hand held Wavetek LCR meter cant even
>read
>> that low when I just tried to measure a few minutes ago. The
>insulator is
>> a standard 502 with 1/4" guy grips. Should I drag  the HP-4271B
>outside or
>> is the actual C too low to be of any concern except to stimulate
>> discussion on the reflector?
>
>I'd toss that Wavetek over on the audio bench. Maybe that is the
>same meter you used to determine the inductive metal film
>resistors Mouser has are non-inductive?

NO, I think I used some junk from MFJ for that old test. The Wavetek is a
recent addition that works well.
When I want to do serious measurements I get hung up on HP.

>The measured capacitance of a 502 insulator with the strand-loops
>only (grip cut off at the point where it starts to lock) is 12 pF.

My measurements today say you are off by a factor of 10 at least. Are you
using a Wavetek, MFJ or a real instrument?
So I can duplicate please detail what you are doing.

>> I would also expect the loss of galvanized steel guy wire to have
>an
>> increasing absorbtion effect as frequency increases. Has that been
>> factored into the modeling programs?
>
>Resistance wouldn't be a problem, as long as the line isn't
>resonant or electrically long compared to the operating frequency.
>
>Unfortunately, that isn't the case. Resistance might be a factor, de-
>Q'ing the lines and making them broadband absorbers.

Hmmm, all I I got out of that was doublespeak.

>Why do you think AM BC stations break up lines every 50 feet or
>so on the AM band? Because of insulator capacitance, something
>totally overlooked in the "non-resonant length" tables we vainly
>follow.

Gee Whiz.  After all these years Johnny Ball capacitance is important?
Why didnt the "experts" mention this years ago?

IMO...HOG WASH.

73  Carl  KM1H

>73, Tom W8JI
>w8ji@contesting.com

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]