[TowerTalk] Re: Yaesu G-1000SDX Rotator

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Yaesu G-1000SDX Rotator
From: n0ss@socket.net (Tom Hammond)
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 15:08:09 -0500
Hi guys:

I just joined this reflector, so I hope this subject is
appropriate for posting here. If it is, then fine.  If
it is NOT, then please send any replies DIRECTLY to me,
rather than posting them on the reflector. Thanks.

I've had a Yaesu G-1000SDX turning the TH-6DXX (only) on
my tower, U.S. Tower 72' Crank-up, thru the U.S. Tower-
supplied thrust bearing.

Recently, I've been noticing that the rotator turns the
antenna significantly faster when it's turning in a
COUNTERCLOCKWISE direction than when it's going in the
opposite direction. The rotational times (in secs.) are:

        Speed Pot Setting
          SLOW     FAST
   CCW     99       48   seconds
    CW     99       75   seconds <= !!!

Initially, I thought I probably had something binding
on the tower.  To check that possibility WITHOUT having
to climb the tower, I took several voltage and current
readings inside the control box:

  Voltage (DC) across the motor winding (Pins 4 & 5 of
  the Jones plug at the back of the control box)

        Speed Pot Setting
          SLOW     FAST
   CCW    11.7     20.3
    CW    11.6     12.9 <= !!!!

Checking further into the problem, I found that the
current drawn by the motor on the FAST setting (400 mA.
avg.) does not change significantly bewteen CCW and CW
rotation, so I think that binding is not the problem.

Does anyone have a suggestion?  The rotator turns OK
in both directions, it just does so SLOWLY in the CW
direction, even when set to FAST.

Thanks for your time.

73 - Tom Hammond   N0SS