[TowerTalk] Broadcaster fined,Thanks to Tom - W8JI

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Broadcaster fined,Thanks to Tom - W8JI
From: w0opw@hotmail.com (Pat **W0OPW**)
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 11:14:10 PDT
 From the ARRL newsletter, Kudos go to Tom for his diligence:

 * Broadcast station fined for 160-meter spurious:
 An AM station in Florida was fined $7000 by the FCC for various
technical violations including radiating an excessive signal on 1909
kHz--in the JA DX window. WINV in Inverness also was cited for EAS
deficiencies and for not having its public file available. Well-known
Georgia Top Band operator Tom Rauch, W8JI, had noticed the spurious on
1909 and contacted the station. "After four unsuccessful attempts to
get them to correct the problem, their switchboard operator said, 'If
we are bothering you way up in Georgia, why don't you just call the
FCC and quit calling us?'" Rauch reported. "Just to be helpful, I did
exactly what she asked!" Rauch said it took the FCC just a week to
visit the station following his complaint. "It's great to see the
FCC is back in business!" he said.