[TowerTalk] Lightning protection grounding

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Lightning protection grounding
From: Tower1313@aol.com (Tower1313@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 20:42:15 EDT
IMHO overgrounding is not a waste of time if you have the money and the time
to do it. For one: when it comes to lightning, there is no such a thing as
overgrounding.
     In the commercial field of communications, millions of dollars worth of
equipment that is never disconnected during storms, is grounded far beyond
the beliefs of many. Many sites use up to <20> 8' ground rods...some go as
far as to use, what is known as Chemrods. <chemically filled ground rods> to
enhance the grounding ability of the rod. Especially in high lightning strike
areas. And these go to lengths of 20' into the ground. Believe it or not, for
only a 250' tower too.
     So all I have to say is, if you have the extra time and money to hinder
lightning and static electricity damage to your system....DO IT. Why treat a
couple thousand dollars worth of equipment like a couple thousand dollars
worth of equipment when you can treat it like a million to help it last
longer with a little extra time and money.
                                           Later,
                                       John Beattie
                    Commercial tower and site installations
p/s Saw a couple of you lookin for used towers...I have a quite a few now, SS
and guyed. If this is wrong to place here, let me know please and I won't do
it again. I like this place and you folks are full of good information. Hope
to have my novice soon, gotta find the time. <grin>