[TowerTalk] rotor shelf

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] rotor shelf
From: n1lo@hotmail.com (Mark, N1LO)
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 07:04:00 PDT

Hi Steve, thanks for the reply

<< Now that you've got the accessory shelf carved up, where are you
going to mount the rotator? Only the Ham IV - not the T2X - will work
inside the 25G (except the open places mentioned above).>>

I have a Yaesu 800 SDX on hand, currently in use in another
application. Will it fit?

<< What are you going to be installing - tower height, rotator, mast
& antennas? If you think you need a second TB-3 (you probably don't -
the mast isn't going anywhere), are you being too aggressive with
25G? >>

 Good question. The second thrust bearing is in there for rotor
service, not to support the mast during normal use. I will leave the
clamp bolts loose. When I need to service the rotor, I can lift the
mast above the rotor pocket and capture it with the second bearing.
 I addition, If I climb the mast, I can clamp it at the second
bearing for extra peace of mind!
 I probably could get by just fine with a second shelf and a muffler
clamp, but preferred the idea of having it all set up in there, ready
to clamp at a moment's notice.

 The tower is 11 sections of R25 with a flat top adaptor. The mast is
15' of 6061-T6 aluminum, 2" OD, 0.25" wall. The mast will extend
about 9 feet above the top plate. The main antenna will be an Antenna
Mart 2 el, 5-band quad, about 1.5 ft above the top plate, with
possible nested vhf/uhf quads just above. I will probably go for the
medium weight quad. Bill Wahl seems to have a reputation for making
the strongest ones, and his medium weight is probably more like the
average heavy duty.

<< Rohn miscellaneous hardware is available from Stan at
W7NI@teleport.com. Cheap, too. The standard hardware in most
instances is good enough for me. >>

Yes, I'm keeping Stan in mind. The local hardware store also has the
identical grade 5 (three tic marks on head), zinc plated bolts.

 The good news is, that Texas Towers will be sending me a free
replacement joint bolt kit. Nice touch!

--...MARK_N1LO...--