[TowerTalk] Sidemount gate Question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Sidemount gate Question
From: n5tw@igg-tx.net (Tom Whiteside)
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 20:58:12 -0500
I have used the IIX gate successfully for a small beam sidemount but have
some concerns about it rotating around the tower with larger long boom
antennas.   I've heard from several folks that this has been a problem and
have read anecdotal data in the Tower Talk reflector.    Douglas (Mr. IIX)
has not heard a much in the way of requests for this but graciously offered
to take care of me with a special order if I supply the plans.  In the
meantime, I learned of a gate that Antenna Mart sells that looks made to
order for larger beams and that Force12 also sells a gate (specs not
viewable on their Web site).

 I'd be very interested in private replies on opinions on the "right answer"
for sidemounting larger beams (e.g. >30 foot booms 9 SQ. feet wind load,
<100 lbs. to bound the problem)...    Am inclined to go with the Antenna
Mart version to save the trouble of having something fabricated but have not
seen one of these in action and have no data on the F12...   I will
summarize replies back to the reflector...   Thanks in advance!

By the way, I mean no aspersions to the IIX gear - it is really well built,
has a really nice thick galvanizing job and they are very responsive...

Tom Whiteside
N5TW Georgetown, TX