[TowerTalk] Loos gauge

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Loos gauge
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 09:28:18 EDT
In a message dated 99-04-28 04:25:13 EDT, shane@eatel.net writes:

>        Well I purchased a PT-2 for my new tower installation this week.  I
>  would like to hear some thoughts about its accuracy and technics in using
>  it.   I belive its has a an accuracy of 3% of reading.  This is great but
>  its marketed for more of a wire rope device I belive.  I guess since I
>  haven't used it yet I don't really have a good comprehension of what it
will
>  do, but it seems to me that may be some varience between wire rope readings
>  and EHS readings due to flexibility of materials.

    Well, wire rope is the generic name for wires twisted together which
includes what we call cables or guy wires. While the Loos devices were
designed for these kinds of materials, they were calibrated for 1x19
stainless steel cable which is used in sailboat rigging.

     A recent "Up The Tower" column in CQ Contest magazine covered this topic
thoroughly including testing the accuracy of the Loos Model 90 and PT-2. A
reprint is available for a buck from Tower Tech, Box 572, Woodinville, WA,
98072. Or let me know and I can email you the text in a Word doc file. The
PT-2 turned out to be pretty accurate per the factory specs.

Cheers,  Steve   K7LXC
Champion Radio Products
Tower Tech