[TowerTalk] Perfect Field Day beam?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Perfect Field Day beam?
From: k2av@qsl.net (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Tue, 04 May 1999 15:54:40 GMT
<199905041332.JAA16840@paris.akorn.net>
Sender: owner-towertalk@contesting.com

Hi Tom,

Kind of beating a dead horse here, I think. Just having two or three
radiators in the air certainly doesn't guarantee behaviour like a
yagi, even if it looks like one. If it has traps and all that can
happen to them, there certainly are any number of problems that can
render a "beam" very unyagi-like, without the need to melt down and
set fire to the traps.

I heard a story about a site that got some of those super-cheap Gotham
two element beams (remember those?), one each for 20, 15 & 10. Whoever
was responsible for putting the beams together got pieces mixed up.
Well, they *looked* like yagis...

My take on a beam that seems little better than a dipole is that it
probably has problems, and I would reverse your statement, that any
beam with only 1.3 db forward gain can't have 13 db F/B.

As you correctly state, those things don't go together in even a
barely well-designed (an incorrect assumption?) "yagi". But there is
nothing that inherently defines which measurement must be in error.

Anecdotally, I have been at a field day site where the tribander
seemed to hear better off the back of the "yagi". In my experience a
wimpy 1.3 db beam is entirely in the realm of possibility.

73.

73, Guy
--. .-..

Guy Olinger, K2AV