[TowerTalk] Mobile Antenna Mounting

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Mobile Antenna Mounting
From: n1rui@together.net (Jim Marciniak)
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 1999 21:16:19 -0400
I have mounted my Sierra screwdriver using a stainless steel ball-mount to
the side of my Explorer at the driver's side rear. The base of the antenna
is "hot", with the car body the ground side of the antenna. The coil is at
roof level, with the whip above.

I would expect that the folded mount has some method of isolating the
antenna base from ground, as the ball mount does. This is the way the
antenna was designed to work, and I can't imagine the antenna resonating
successfully with the base grounded.

I have heard of people permanently mounting the whip on the roof of a camper
(isolated from ground, again, connected to the coil), with the coil mounted
horizontally inside the camper, and the antenna still performed well (though
I doubt it did as well as it does with the coil connected directly to the
whip).  My own experience is that the screwdriver performs well as I have it
connected. I have made solid 5/7 - 5/9 contacts with Japan while mobile,
from my home on the East Coast.  My MARS group accused me of using a linear
while operating mobile during MARS nets, so I'd say it does well. I operate
with a Kenwood running 100 watts.

73,

Jim N1RUI